Friday, July 25, 2008

A Memo of a Child to His Parents



This write-up can be very helpful to parents in raising their children the way these kids want it to be. Hence, this can also be a way to establish good relationship and to strengthen rapport among their offspring.

Well, I hope this really could help you out.

What a child has to say to his parents…

Do not spoil me. I know so well that I should not always have everything that I want. Sometimes, I am just testing you so I ask for anything under the sun just to see how far you will go in spoiling me. Please never be afraid to be strict with me. I actually prefer such because it simply gives me sense of security.

Do not allow me to have bad habits. I do not always know what is good or bad. Never make me feel “smaller” than I am. When you always treat me like a little child, I will keep on acting as one. Please treat me as though I were older than I really am. Then, I will try to live up with your expectations. Indeed, it is a big challenge for me to grow up.

Do not correct me in front of other people. It will only make me feel so ashamed and little bit rebellious. I will appreciate it more and pay much attention if you will talk to me reasonably and in private. Don’t always make me feel that my mistakes are crimes and sins. However, don’t protect me from the consequences of my mistakes. Sometimes, I need to learn the hard and painful way. You don’t help me grow when you are overprotective.

Don’t be inconsistent for that makes me feel so confused and eventually start to lose my trust in you. Please do not tell that my worries and fears are silly. They are terribly real to me even if they don’t seem real to you. What I simply want you to do are just to lend a listening ear, and hopefully, an understanding mind.

Kindly refrain from telling me that you are perfect… that you never make mistakes because I know that you do. Besides, I don’t need nor want a perfect parent. Instead, I want you to be you… loving and understanding. If you will admit you’re wrong at times or if you will apologize for such mistake and shortcoming, don’t ever think that it lessens your self-esteem and my respect to your being my parent. In fact, you surprisingly make me feel so warm and loving when you do all these things with sincerest love and deepest concern.

These are just some of the pointers that can really make us bond so well. But, believe me mom and dad when I say that I am indeed overwhelmed to have you as my guardians, providers and advisers – my loving parents… God’s greatest gift to me.

I love you so much, Mom and Dad. Thanks for the unconditional love that you have given me. These words may not be enough but I mean it, my heart simply means it, too.

2 comments:

Legal Eagle said...

Great blog!

This makes me think twice.

Mark43 said...

Raising a child in my opinion is an honor. If only all parents would make a commitment to try and adhere to these principles, I believe the world would be a better place. Thanks for this post...
www.semperright.blogspot.com